There are different places to add metadata tracking (department-, section-, and job codes) in the Thankyou Payroll system. This article shows you the options.
Updated: November 2023
To keep your department-, section-, and job codes consistent, update them in the 'Costing/Tracking Tab' located under 'Settings'. If you edit tracking in any other location, the edit will only apply to that specific timesheet/employee and will not automatically be added to the Costing/Tracking Tab. Here is an article about adding tracking data to the Costing/Tracking Tab.
You can add tracking to your pay information in three places in the Thankyou Payroll system:
In these locations, start typing in a tracking input field to trigger the tracking dropdown menu consisting of saved data from the 'Costing/Tracking Tab.
*If the option you are looking for is not displayed, go to the Costing/Tracking Tab to enter the tracking data there and 'Save'.
*If the option exists in the 'Costing/Tracking Tab' but doesn't come up in the dropdown menu, copy and paste the tracking into the field as required.
The Standard Pay Tab - Employee Settings
You can specify tracking for the Standard Pay row of the employee timesheet when you set up an employee. Do this in the 'Standard Pay' tab of the Employee Profile:
- You will find the tracking section below the 'default settings for the standard pay row'.
- Start typing in a tracking input field to access the tracking dropdown menu.
- Select the tracking category from this menu.
- You can fill out a single input field, two fields, or all three tracking fields as in the example.
- The tracking entered here applies to the 'default entries for standard pay row' above the Tracking Input Area.
Tracking entered in the Standard Pay Tab is employee-specific and will be applied automatically to all 'standard pay' rows for this employee's timesheets. To edit an individual timesheet entry, see the timesheet section of this article.
Using Tracking with Custom Pay Types
You can specify tracking when creating Custom Pay Types in the Employee Profile.
- Start typing in the tracking input field to trigger the tracking dropdown menu. Select the tracking option to be connected with this Custom Pay Type.
- This is an example of a tracking dropdown menu. Simply select the field from here.
Tracking codes entered for Custom Pays are specific to this pay type and this employee. They will be applied automatically to timesheet rows when added to this employee's timesheets. They can still be edited within the timesheet.
See the next section of this article.
Customising Tracking from within Timesheet Entries
After entering timesheet details, you can add tracking to a specific entry - or edit the tracking categories as set above for that timesheet row.
- Select the pay type from the dropdown menu. Note that you can add Tracking to any Pay Type from within the timesheet. Complete the timesheet entries for that line.
- In this example, the 'Standard Pay' pay type is used.
- 'Update and Save' the timesheet. Your entry boxes will be green when saved.
- To access Costing and Tracking, left-click in a timesheet entry box as shown in the example. Tracking will only apply to this single timesheet box.
- The Costing and Tracking input area is displayed below the timesheet.
- In this example, as we used the 'Standard Pay' row, the tracking set in the Standard Pay Tab of the Employee Profile has pulled through for each entry in this timesheet 'Standard Pay' row.
- You can edit each of the timesheet entries individually if needed by left-clicking the timesheet entry and updating the tracking fields.
Tracking can be updated or deleted in each of these input fields. Simply start typing in a field to access the tracking dropdown menu and select the category from there. Note: Entering tracking data is optional. The timesheet will save even if none or only a few input fields are completed.
- 'Update and Save' the timesheet to save the tracking you've just entered.
Tracking codes only apply from the date it is added onwards. If you run reports on pays done before adding tracking codes, that pay data will not be included in the tracking field report.
For example: If you add the new Job Code: BuildingMaintenance to today's timesheet, last week's timesheet will not have that Job Code added so it will not be included in a report on BuildingMaintenance.
That is it! You have now added tracking to your pay data. As easy as that!